Northern White Cedar Facts, Characteristics and Care
- Constructed with the finest brand of hand-selected Northern White Cedar
- No pressure treating or chemical preservatives are ever used on our Northern White Cedar products
- Each product retains the look, feel, and scent of the great outdoors
- Expert craftsmanship and quality control standards for every piece
- Each item is always shipped with careful handling and packaging
- Mortise and tendon joinery construction used for strength, durability and easy assembly
- Most items arrive unassembled in major components for quick and easy assembly with complete instructions
- Furniture line comes with a 5 year Manufacturers Limited Warranty
- Boasts natural sturdiness and durability
- Remarkably resilient
- Does not shrink or warp
- Exceptional high strength-to-weight ratio
- Can be left untreated with little or no maintenance for generations
- Naturally resistant to decay, weather and insect damage
- Weathers gracefully over time to a silver-gray hue when outdoors
You will notice cracks, some small and some larger in your rustic log furnishings. This occurs naturally in the dryness process and adds to the character and rustic look of the product. These cracks, known as "checking", do not diminish the function or design. All Northern White Cedar log products are subject to the natural process of "checking", or cracking. This happens as the wood releases moisture, and normally occurs across, or through the annual growth rings. It is the usual result of wood seasoning. Our Northern White Cedar furnishings are dried in a large heated room for months to ensure that 99% of all "checking" is already done. All logs are then stress tested before they enter production to ensure that they will hold up to the test of weight and time. In this regard you will not have to be concerned about the durability of your furniture. Checking occurs mainly on the surface of the wood and does not affect the structural performance or integrity of the wood. This natural process adds to the uniqueness of the pieces and lends a certain rustic appeal. The degree of checking will vary from product to product and log to log.
Left untreated, Northern White Cedar will weather to a beautiful soft silvery gray if left outdoors, or may become discolored if left in damp or shaded areas. A 20 percent solution of household bleach and water will usually remove any stain. Even after years of exposure, Northern White Cedar can be refinished to its natural bright clean appearance.
If you choose to stain your cedar furniture, there are a variety of penetrating stains. The manufacturer of your furnishings recommends Penofin, as it is formulated to enhance the natural beauty of the wood and will keep it looking that way. There are some stains with water repellent additives and mildew inhibitors. Penetrating stains go into the wood without forming a surface barrier which eliminates the problem of blistering and peeling of painted surfaces. Whichever stain you choose to use, please follow the manufacturer's directions for a successful application.
Painting your white cedar products will conceal the natural color and grain of the wood.